Modern Day Pilgrims

Monday, October 12, 2009

3:30 a.m.

I went out to check on Charlotte after hearing her fuss for a bit, and she had the dirtiest diaper I've ever seen! It was wet and poopy, and the wetness soaked through her clothes and swaddler. I know this is one of many to come. Unfortunately, it happened only an hour and a half after she last ate, and after changing her diaper, I tried to rock her back to sleep. I went back to bed and then heard her hiccuping and making other noises a short time later. We decided to go ahead and feed her, so I got up and made her bottle. When I returned to her Moses basket, she was once again sound asleep. Her feed time is in a half hour, so I'm just going to stay up until we get some food in our baby girl! In the meantime, I'll write and let you know how things are going.

Breast feeding is now a no go. My milk came in but the most I've produced from both breasts is 10 ml....yes, ml...not ounces. I've been trying to pump for the past couple of days to see if I would start producing more, but it's not happening. The formula is making for a much more contented and easy going baby, which I'm very glad for. Other than the occasional "hiccup" mentioned in the first paragraph, Charlotte is on a pretty solid three hour schedule which is allowing Chris and I to get *some* sleep at night. Since she's now going to be strictly formula, we started doing shifts tonight. That was nice since it allowed me to sleep for about 4 hours straight. It would've been more like 6 had she not completely messed all over herself and then started her hiccup parade!! Haha! Oh well.

Charlotte's personality is so lovely. I realize this could change at any moment, but right now, she is so easygoing and we are enjoying every minute of it. She doesn't have to be swaddled like some babies, but she doesn't mind when she is. She's had no problem switching from breast feeding to a special Medela supplemental bottle to her new Dr. Brown's bottle that we'll be using from now on. She loves her car seat and has yet to cry on a car ride. She loves to be cuddled and have her arms and legs rubbed. She can fall asleep in her Moses basket or in someone's arms. In other words, she's not one of those babies who become dependent on someone else "rocking" them to sleep. She's had absolutely no problem sleeping on her back. We'll see how laying on her stomach goes when we start "tummy time". The only time she fusses is when she needs her diaper changed or is hungry. She doesn't really fuss just for the sake of fussing. All in all, she's a pretty sweet little angel and we love her so much!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear what an easy going little girl you have (at least for the moment). We'll keep praying for you and Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how lucky are you guys!? i'm so happy everything has been going so well so far!! :)

    ReplyDelete