Modern Day Pilgrims

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Invisible Charlotte


Today I had a doctor’s appointment at the Embassy’s Health Unit.  The appointment was for me and not for Charlotte, but she thought it was for her and started crying when we started to walk through the Health Unit doors.  We told her the appointment was for mommy and took her to an area of the Health Unit that has a child’s table, puzzles, kids books, and other toys.  We told her she could sit down and play, but she still didn’t seem sure.  Chris and I went into the office where my appointment was (which was right by the children’s area) while Charlotte stayed at the kids table.  NIcole, the nurse, could see her from where she was seated in the office, but Charlotte was so quiet that Chris and I kept peeking to believe that she really was still there.  Every time we peeked at her, Charlotte was sitting perfectly still and quiet and had her blanket over her head.  At home, she always plays the game “Where’s Charlotte” by putting a blanket over her head.  We’re pretty sure she thinks we can’t see her if she’s hiding under a blanket, so we think her doing that today was to hide so she wouldn’t have to be seen by the doctor.  It was funny and sad at the same time.  I went out to the hallway and said, “Charlotte?  Charlotte?”  And she took the blanket off her head and looked at me with a scared little face.  I comforted her and told her once again that the appointment was for me and not for her and asked if she wanted to sit on my lap.  She said yes, so I brought her into the office with me and she sat so still and cuddled with me the rest of the time.  Too cute.  

1 comment:

  1. HA! This is hilarious. Somehow I don't find it difficult to imagine her sitting there with that blanket over her head sucking her fingers. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete