Modern Day Pilgrims

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Visitors, Part 2

My parents and brother came out for a week and a half earlier this month. We all had a nice time, and I think it was a neat experience for my parents and brother to visit the Middle East and truly go "overseas" for the first time. Everyone seemed to love the Souq (the outdoor shopping area), because we went there four times while they were here! My parents also loved all the ruins in Bahrain, with some dating back to as early as 3,000 B.C. I think Matt would say his favorite part was the chicken shawarma's! Matt has already said he'd like to come back, and I'm glad he had a nice enough time to be able to say that. Here's some pictures from their visit:

My bro and I at an old home in Muharraq, Bahrain that was used for a Sheikh.

Neil Armstrong, Gene Cernan, Jim Lovell, and a couple others came to the Navy Base while my parents and brother were here, so we got to go and hear them share their stories. It was truly amazing, and in all honesty, it was a highlight of my life that I will never forget.

Some spices, lentils, beans, etc. that were available for sale at the Souq.

A man selling fabric at the Souq. Silk is in abundance here and there are some really beautiful prints.

We went to the Formula 1 race, and before the race started, a gulf air plane flew right over this tower. It was pretty cool. I've never seen such a huge plane fly so low!

All the cars going around turn 1 at the start of the race and there weren't any accidents! It's amazing how much skill they have.

Matt and I at The Bahrain Fort.

Matt at the King's Royal Camel Farm with a camel that was only a week old.

At the Bahrain National Museum, they have a map of Bahrain on the floor of the museum. Here I am pointing at our house.

Matt holding Charlotte at the Bahrain National Museum.

Natural pearls at the Bahrain National Museum. Pearl diving is one of Bahrain's main sources of income, along with oil and banking. They hold their natural pearls in such high esteem that it is illegal to sell cultured pearls on the island.

My dad making some pottery at the A'ali Pottery Village.

My Mom making some pottery at the A'ali Pottery Village

Charlotte at the A'ali Pottery Village.

A man who works at the A'ali Pottery Village. When we were there, he was making the clay.

My dad trying on traditional arab dress for men at the Souq.

My Dad got a custom made suit while he was here. He asked for deep pockets so that he can put his camera lenses in there, along with a few other modifications. The possibilities are endless since they are custom made. I think my dad was quite happy with the results.

Chris also got a custom made suit the week my parents were here. Doesn't he look sharp?

No comments:

Post a Comment