Modern Day Pilgrims

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Jacket's Coming Along

I started the Oliver + S School Days Jacket two days ago, and I'm quite happy with the progress and how the jacket is turning out so far.  I was a little hesitant to even try this jacket.  Oliver + S gave it three scissors, meaning it's intermediate and "for the experienced sewer who has made a wider variety of items and feels comfortable with a new challenge."  I guess I have made a wide variety of items and am always up for a new challenge, but maybe my wide variety of items have all been one or two scissors and perhaps the three scissors would be out of my skill range!  This is the first Oliver + S pattern I've tried, and I am so impressed.  The directions are very detailed and clear.  Sometimes I get stuck on a pattern because I can't figure out what it wants me to do.  I haven't had that problem at all with this pattern and that seems to be what everyone says about Oliver + S.  Since I'm borrowing the School Days Jacket pattern from a friend and don't yet personally own an Oliver + S pattern, I'm convinced after trying this one that their super cute patterns are worth the $14.95 they charge.  I hope to buy just about all of their dress patterns sometime in the future!

Anyway, enough about my plug for Oliver + S.  Back to the jacket...I've basically made the outer part of the jacket.  I decided to buy some fusible fleece interlining to make the jacket warmer and thicker.  I won't be able to start the lining portions of the jacket or piece it all together until the fleece gets here.  It shipped yesterday so hopefully it will be here in a week!  I also ordered some buttons that will *hopefully* match the blue in the jacket.  I'm a little concerned that the toile pattern and the jacket design looks a little too kimono right now, though.  I'm hoping that's because I'm not finished.  None of the finished jackets in this flickr pool appear kimono-like.  Not that there's anything wrong with kimonos...the Japanese style is super cute; it's just not what I'm going for here.

Here's some pictures of what I've done so far and my cute little model.  I'm making a size 3 and it seems to be swimming on Charlotte, so she should get a lot of wear out of this assuming I don't thoroughly mess up the lining part....






No comments:

Post a Comment