Modern Day Pilgrims

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My First Attempt At Creating a Sewing Pattern: FAIL!


So I don't know what overcame me yesterday, but I decided to put aside everything else that needs to be done and try and make my first pattern. I think it would be so cool if I could learn to design the clothes I sew instead of just buying a pattern, so I decided to make Charlotte a dress out of some yellow gingham I had lying around. It was fun to try, and even if my first attempt didn't turn out perfectly, I don't think it turned out pathetic, either!! I would still classify it as a big ole FAIL since I didn't quite get a few things right. The dress was meant to be a 2T, but the waist is more like 12 months, which threw everything else off. I wanted the top to be a boat neck, but I didn't quite get that right, either. The front has enough room for boobies even though Charlotte won't have any for a few years yet! Haha! Perhaps if I had gotten the waist right, then the top front would fit properly. Anyway, I also wanted the sleeves to flow from the front instead of having to sew them on separately, but now I know why dresses aren't made like that. It bunched at the armpit and I couldnt fix it even by clipping the corners. Oh well. Perhaps I'll try to fix my errors and see if I can get it right. Even if the dress is a pitiful sight, you can still enjoy the pictures of Charlotte in it!




No comments:

Post a Comment