Modern Day Pilgrims

Saturday, October 30, 2010

3K Fun Run

This past Wednesday, our family participated in a 3K fun run at the Navy base. I used to run 3 to 6 miles every day and I regret stopping. I don't have the endurance I used to! And when I do run, I usually do it inside on a treadmill. Running outside in the heat and humidity adds an extra challenge. Nonetheless, when I heard about this event, I asked Chris if we could do it. I'd love to make running a normal part of my workout regime again. 3K is only 1.89 miles...that should be like getting back on a bike, right? All the sailors were talking amongst themselves and I heard comments like, "3K is nothing!" or "Dude, it's only a 3K run." Bleh. I wasn't going to let them rob me of the joy I'd have in finishing.

Chris was a good sport and ran the whole thing with me at my pace even though he could've kept up with most of the sailors. We ended up doing the 3K in 20 minutes or so...give or a take a couple minutes. ;-) But we never stopped, thanks to Chris's encouragement, and we kept a steady pace throughout. Since we weren't going at a fast pace, Chris pushed Charlotte along on our Quinny Buzz. It's not technically a jogging stroller, but it held up okay - not that I'd want to try it at a faster pace. I think Charlotte enjoyed riding along and feeling the breeze on her face. We got t-shirts afterwards and they even showered us with free bananas, orange slices, and water. We may or may not have snagged a few bananas for later....

The Navy base has a lot of these fun runs, but they're usually at 0630. I hope they do more of the night runs because it was a wonderful and fun thing to do as a family. Here's a couple pictures from the night:


Ready to go!

Charlotte would've tried to run it with us if we had let her. She loved walking all over the place before the race began.

The 3 of us after the race was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment