Modern Day Pilgrims

Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Dress

A family Christmas party for my husband's employer is this weekend and I had the sudden thought to try and make Charlotte a pretty Christmas dress and jacket for the party.  I have quite a bit of Christmas fabric on hand with no intended purpose for any of it, so I had fun looking through my patterns and figuring out what fabric I wanted to use with which pattern.  I'm definitely glad I stock up on patterns and sewing supplies when I'm in the states, because it makes it super easy to do last minute projects like this.  Charlotte loves the new dress and keeps asking to wear it.  I tried it on her last night and there's definitely not any room for growth.  I guess it's good she can only wear it this month!  I used Simplicity 2270 and made a few alterations, as you'll see in the pictures below.  The pattern called for a zipper on the backside, but Charlotte loves buttons and I think buttons are cuter, so I made the backside a button closure instead of a zipper closure.  I also added some pom-pom fringe to the neckline to make it more festive, which Charlotte loves and calls them "balls", along with rack rack along the bottom of the dress and some colorful thread as a fun decorative accent.  I promise I'll get plenty of pictures of Charlotte in her cute little Christmas dress this weekend.  In the meantime, enjoy these:

The completed dress and jacket.

The backside of the dress.
Closeup of jacket back

Here's the dress front without the jacket.  There's also decorative stitching outlining the pockets, but you can't see that very well in this picture.

Closeup of front dress neckline

Closeup of rick rack and decorative stitching at bottom

backside of dress

Closeup of back neckline and buttons

another closeup of the back buttons

The pattern I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment