Modern Day Pilgrims

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Qatar

I'm writing this post from the Marriott in Qatar! Chris had to attend a conference so Charlotte and I thought we'd tag along and enjoy the awesome hotel and amenities! We are having a great time and Chris is trying to sneak away as much as possible to enjoy the warm weather, pool, and beach along with us!

And funny enough, on our way to breakfast this morning, a black man in front of the lounge said "You are welcome". The accent and phrase was so familiar and I immediately asked, "Are you Nigerian?" He looked surprised and said, "Yes, I am." I told him we lived there for two years. We ended up talking for awhile and I found out his name was Jubilee (a very Nigerian name) and he was telling me about how he ended up in Qatar (a work visa for 3 years). He asked if Charlotte was born in Nigeria and I told him she was conceived there and then continued to say "The land is green", which was a phrase we heard every time someone found out they were pregnant or had a baby. Haha...as much as I hate Nigeria, I can honestly say that it was fun to chat with Jubilee.

Here's some pictures from our day:










1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! I'm glad you get to go along with Chris. A great reason to have a flexible school schedule when Charlotte gets older. :) But you have a few years before you have to worry about that. Enjoy your time.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete