Modern Day Pilgrims

Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Our family had a wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday and we sincerely hope that you did, too. I love the feeling that holiday's bring. Something about it just brightens your spirit and makes the whole day cheerier. Chris said it's all in the head, but even if that's true, it's still wonderful! We spent the day with our good friends, Terry and Jill. About a month ago, Jill and I met up for lunch and divvied up the menu. She took the turkey, ham, pecan pie, salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, and deviled eggs while I took the sweet potato casserole, stuffing, mushroom gratin, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, apple crisp, and my favorite...homemade bread. We couldn't have asked for a better day, but we got it. Instead of only celebrating the holiday between our two families, three members of the Armed Forces joined us, along with a co-worker of Terry's who is here without his wife and four kids. The former three are currently assigned to Isa Air base at the southern tip of the island. They endure pretty primitive and basic living conditions there, so needless to say, it was the least we could do to open up our hearts and home and share a proper Thanksgiving with them. This was one of the most memorable Thanksgivings we've ever had and I know it's not one we'll soon forget.

Homemade bread I made. If you didn't know, baking bread is one of my favorite hobbies, and I definitely think the extra work is worth it on a day like Thanksgiving.


The whole gang (minus myself). Charlotte ate her body weight in food.


Today, we celebrated "Black Friday" by going to a fair at a nearby British school. I'm trying to get rid of jewelry that I still have from my year-long stint of selling Premier Designs. I didn't get rid of all of it today, but I made a good dent. Chris came along and helped because we also sold my mom's homemade soap. The soap went over pretty well and we sold 30 bars! Yay, Mom!

The soap on display before the fair began.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Sorry I missed your call - - Black Friday got the best of us this year. To give you an idea, Dad says he's not ever doing it again, and he's normally the guy that gets out there every year!

    Thanks for the pics (although I wish I could see that cutie in the high chair a bit more), especially the soap table. You did a good job setting everything up! I was hoping to sell all of it (dang it), but am thankful that I was able to sell at least a third of it anyways. Did you sell an equal portion of everything or was one particular scent, etc. more popular than anything else? Enquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete