Modern Day Pilgrims

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Tennis Lessons

Two blogs in one day! I guess it's a busy Saturday blogging morning for me.

Tennis is something my brother, Matt, got me into about seven years ago. We started watching men's tennis on TV whenever it was on, and we even spent a ton of money to go to the Indianapolis RCA Tennis Championships to watch every match Andy Roddick was in. Ever since that time, I've wanted to learn how to play the game. It's an incredible sport to watch and it takes so much skill and strategy. If I had my childhood to do over again, I think I would've played tennis since learning a new sport seems to be one of those things reserved only for kids. I know it's never to old to learn something new, but how many adult leagues do you know about that teach you to play basketball or football or any sport for that matter? Adult leagues are usually reserved for those who already know how to play. If you think about it, this isn't very fair since only a fourth of our life is spent as a kid, but it's the way it is and it probably won't be changing anytime soon. Imagine my delight when I learned about tennis lessons for adults here in Bahrain.

My friend, Erin, started taking private lessons last year and she recently set it up for her, myself, and two other girls to take group lessons. So for the past 5 weeks, I've been learning to play tennis! I'm not very good, but I see potential. Maybe not pro tennis potential, but I see the kind of potential that means I could have a leisurely and fun tennis match with a friend without frustrating them or myself. Last night, the company I'm taking tennis lessons through held a social tournament. Everyone was there just to have a good time, meet new people who are also learning tennis, and practice their game. It was a lot of fun. I was very nervous about going knowing full well I'd be the worst player there since I've not been taking lessons for very long. It was excellent practice and I didn't do as bad as I thought I would. Mind you, I didn't do good, but I don't think I stunk up the court, either! When I first started taking tennis lessons, I struggled most with my serve. After some practice, I finally figured out what I was supposed to do last week. Last night was my chance to see if I was right! Most of my serves went in (yes!), which I was thrilled about!! I even won a doubles and single match! I won't tell you how many I lost, though! :-)

When we move back to the states, I hope I can find someone to continue giving me lessons, and I hope I can find enough people to play with. Here in Bahrain, most of the mom's don't work and most of us play tennis or are learning how to play, so it's not hard to find someone who wants to hit balls back and forth. Chris took a few picture from last night. He had a hard time getting some good ones because it was too dark for the camera and most of them came out super blurry. Here's the best ones he got:



No comments:

Post a Comment